[78-L] Kenny Ball

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 7 19:50:38 PST 2013

From:  Julian Vein
> Some of you may be interested.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9915210/Kenny-Ball-great-of-British-jazz-dies.html

What a coincidence.  We had just been talking here about Van Cliburn and
his 78 and concert encore of "Moscow (Suburbian) Nights", and now the
guy who changed the song from quietly evoking the countryside to one
noisily evoking a bustling city has died a week after Cliburn.  On
Sunday night I played on YesterdayUSA the Cliburn encore from 1958, the
original Vladimir Troshin recording from 1957, an excerpt of Cliburn
playing it in the Reagan White House for Grobachev in 1987, and Kenny
Ball's recording.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com