[78-L] Fake stereo

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Mon Mar 4 07:37:59 PST 2013

Mike,

Gary Galo's article in the ARSC Journal of Spring 2010 describes the two types of digital filters
(IIR and FIR) and notes that only the IIR properly matches the phase response of an analog filter.
Gary also gave a talk at the 2009 ARSC conferences about this.  The Tracer Technologies DC7
software includes an IIR filter which duplicates the analog phase response, and I wouldn't call this
program expensive.

Someone mentioned the method of imposing a 90 degree phase shift between the channels to
create phony stereo.  I remember Columbia used this technique for a while.

And no one has mentioned engineer Robert Parker, who produced many phony stereo jazz reissues.
He used Robert Orban's equalizer which is truly mono compatible - if the channels were combined,
nothing was added or lost.  (Unfortunately, the reverb he added reverb could not be eliminated.)

Doug Pomeroy
audiofixer at verizon.net