[78-L] Victor documentation

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Mar 2 13:49:26 PST 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

This may be old hat to some of you, but definite news to me. I stumbled across a fantastic piece of record documentation online this morning:

http://rayrayburn.com/rca/RCA_manual.pdf

This is the RCA Master Reference Book For Disc Recording, an in-house publication (dated February 1940, with updates) distributed only to the Victor recording studios and engineering department (only 15 copies published!). Contains everything you never knew you needed to know about every aspect of the recording art as practiced by RCA Victor Company/RCA Manufacturing Company. Example? How 'bout BLUEPRINTS of the various and sundry record types manufactured by Victor during the 1930s into 1940. Hummna-hummna-hummna... Or detailed recording curves and responses for the various products? (Yes, Victor DID use audio compressors in 1940!) Absolutely a TERRIFIC find; this PDF was made from the copy sent to the Hollywood studio (also confirming the location as 1016 N. Sycamore Ave., Hollywood), which may well be the only surviving copy!

Take care,

—
Joe
—
"If cats are 'pets' and people are 'masters' why am I the one standing here with a Pooper Scooper?"—Karl Knox (1960–2005)