[78-L] Victor 25461 & 25469 BG with Ella

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon Feb 4 10:10:59 PST 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

Taylor Bowie wrote:

> ...Neither of those records are at all rare,  although they usually fetch
> decent money.  I've had at least a half dozen copies of each over the last
> 25 or so years.

Probably the hardest thing about the three 25461s is discerning visually which "Goodnight My Love" is which. I have Scroll-label pressings of all three, and the A-side labels are identical. Both are Take 1 as well (different matrix numbers, which is contrary to usual Victor policy unless you consider the different vocalist), and both have diamond-VE marks in the wax. What I have noticed is that the Frances Hunt version has a slightly wider space between the twin eccentric trip grooves than does the Ella version. (The Ella version's trip-groove spacing is typical of the vast majority of Victors using dual grooves.)

There are also Rings-label copies of 25461; whether both Ella and Frances Hunt versions were issued thereon, I can't say. But the original "Goodnight My Love"/"Take Another Guess" coupling does not exist on Rings. Russ Connor's BG tomes show the recall date for Victor 25469, and it seems likely the original 25461 was pulled at the same time.

Has anyone examined the blue cards for 25461/9? I for one would love to acquire scans of them (the 5 November 1936 session sheet, too)...it's gonna be quite a while before EDVR gets that far in its transcription of Victor data.

Take care,

—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"