[78-L] eBay gestapo

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Wed Jan 23 05:03:09 PST 2013

On 1/23/2013 2:08 AM, Matthew Duncan wrote:
> It seems the more famous an artist/performer the more likely that message crops up...The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are two examples...and when I have sold Elvis 78s that message about unauthorized copies comes up every time no matter what...
>
> I have stopped using the word 'copy' too....e.g. "A superb copy'' is now ''A superb example'' and so on...

A few years ago, I got into a heated argument with a seller from Germany
who was selling photocopies of car manuals for prices approaching those
brought by originals. I bought one and promptly sent it back. Nowhere
did he use "ein copie" or any such. He became abusive when I pressed
him, even though the policies of the day instructed against the use of
abbreviations. Complaints to Ebay fell on deaf ears. He alluded to their
condition as if they were original. He blended into his description an
obscure acronym which I do not recall. I had to consult several people
who spoke German to finally get someone to guess what it meant. I think
he is still selling today.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.