[78-L] Waveforms - Waveschmorms? [was Waveforms]

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Fri Jan 18 10:34:03 PST 2013

Edison discs are vertically cut, and so are some Pathes. When you play a vertically cut record using a stereo cartridge, one of the channels will be inverted unless you wire the cartridge specially (or invert one of the channels somewhere else, like in a pre-amp with a "vertical" switch).

>Another thing that interests me is why some transfers in stereo, of mono
>material, show the 2 waveforms in lock-step while others are 180 degrees
>out of phase. Or could it just be one of my regular cartridges is wired
>that way? I only have one of those and make a point not to use it unless
>I'm transferring Pathe or Edison discs.
>More investigation is needed on my part, I think.
>Malcolm

                       -        Jeff Lichtman
                                jeff at swazoo.com
                                Check out Swazoo Koolak Photography