[78-L] Robert Johnson madness again

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 00:25:39 PST 2013

On 14/01/13 08:05, Matthew Duncan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> These are my thoughts:
>
> 1.  "Terraplane Blues" along with the other side of the 78 we are discussing are superb pieces of music that I have enjoyed for years in LP form that I would love to own on 78.
I find most blues boring, so I can save myself a lot of money.

2.  The price fetched is alot of money (based on my present circumstances) but is alot less than what some Johnson 78s have sold for in the past.

I wouldn't feel happy paying that sort of money for, or enjoy listening to, a record in that condition, when I know there are collectors out there enjoying much better quality copies.

3.  I would suggest that a rock star would not have bought this one - it
wasn't $10,000++ and it was sold publicly not privately.Agreed, he'd
probably have spent it on drugs.
> 5.  If a collector is financially stable then why not spend that money on that record...or indeed they may have saved over time in preparation of buying such a disc...coffins have no pockets and all that...
I can't think of any disc that I would consider important enough to save
that sort of money for. Might've bought myself some new playback
equipment instead.

> 7.  Think how many people waste $3000+ every year on 'the latest thing' or whatever...trivial stuff...I know that doesn't make this Johnson purchase seem 'normal' but at least the mere activity of buying 78s is a worthwhile thing...
I suspect some of the purchasers are getting these things as a "hedge
against inflation".