[78-L] Robert Johnson madness again

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 00:05:37 PST 2013

Hi all,

These are my thoughts:

1.  "Terraplane Blues" along with the other side of the 78 we are discussing are superb pieces of music that I have enjoyed for years in LP form that I would love to own on 78.

2.  The price fetched is alot of money (based on my present circumstances) but is alot less than what some Johnson 78s have sold for in the past.

3.  I would suggest that a rock star would not have bought this one - it wasn't $10,000++ and it was sold publicly not privately.

4. V minus is a low grade but I have several records of that grade in my collection that play really well depending on the reason for the grade...''looks rough plays tough'' and all that...

5.  If a collector is financially stable then why not spend that money on that record...or indeed they may have saved over time in preparation of buying such a disc...coffins have no pockets and all that...

6.  There are fantastic 78s of other artists arguably more important than Johnson or equally so  that can be bought for much less....indeed in many cases for not huge sums at all...but we all have our own goals and financial restrictions plus our own reasons for collecting...and they're all different..

7.  Think how many people waste $3000+ every year on 'the latest thing' or whatever...trivial stuff...I know that doesn't make this Johnson purchase seem 'normal' but at least the mere activity of buying 78s is a worthwhile thing...

One day I hope to have $3000 to fritter away - but as I don't I will continue buying the nicest records I can afford and ones I enjoy playing until the day comes when I can by each and every one of Mr Johnson's groundbreaking discs.....well that's my positive thought for the day....now I better do some work!  :-)

Matt in the UK