[78-L] Count John McCormack Vol. VII, 1904-1906. "Produced to Pearl Quality Criteria"

Christopher Steward chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 01:18:15 PST 2013

I did a few transfers for Pearl and can confirm that they either did their own transfers or used those by people who, like me, didn't want to lend their discs. At the time I hadn't the Packburn or digital software that I have since used, so my results might be described as rough and ready. I assumed that they would at least edit out a couple of loud clicks that I hadn't been able to deal with, but they did nothing at all, so 'Pearl Quality Criteria' meant very little.
I was told that they often only 'paid' contributors with a lunch, and they weren't very keen when I told them I wanted real money. They clearly operated on a shoestring, and the surprise is that their issues were as good as they often were.

Chris

The Pearl CD "John McCormack in American Song" also has transfers evidently supplied by collectors all over the globe, each with different EQ & sense of what a transfer should sound like.

Dennis "Bird Songs At Eventide" Forkel