[78-L] 78 rpm stylus question

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Wed Jan 9 10:45:48 PST 2013

I downloaded the clip and analyzed it using Sound Forge. The portions that were played with the problem stylus have a 5 dB peak at about 10.9 KHz, followed by a 13.5 dB trough at about 11.2 KHz. This is enough to be audible. I don't know what causes the problem, but since there's no recorded signal at those frequencies you should be able to eliminate it easily with a low-pass filter.

>Yes, the issue here is a "ringing" or high-pitched "whistle" that is
>present in the affected stylus. . .

                       -        Jeff Lichtman
                                jeff at swazoo.com
                                Check out Swazoo Koolak Photography