[78-L] The stylus discussion has led me to a totally unrelated terminology question.

ERIC BYRON bear128 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 7 14:32:24 PST 2013

The
stylus discussion has led me to a totally unrelated terminology question.

From
what I understand, acoustic phonographs reproduce sound in the following way. A
sound scratched into the record makes the needle vibrate. The vibrating needle transfers
the sound via a stylus bar to the diaphragm.  The diaphragm sets up a column of vibrating air, which in turn results
in the production of audible sound.
Does one use the same/similar terminology when
describing how one records sound?  Would
this description be correct?  Sound
enters a horn and is transmitted to a diaphragm.  The diaphragm is connected to a stylus bar.  The stylus bar is attached to a cutting
needle.  The vibrating needle scratches
the sound into the record.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,