[78-L] E*AY Seller Complaint - Bait & Switch on a $300 Record

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Jan 4 09:09:56 PST 2013

The Pm 14000 series is ALWAYS the 1940s reissue series, produced for collectors.
The originals were issued in the 12000 series.
Maybe a pity Ty doesn't list the 14000s indicating it is repro, and maybe he could
add "14000 postwar reissue series not included".

Long ago I saw the first 14000 being sold for an exaggerated price, but
usually the bidders know what they will get:
3 copies of 14008 were sold for $1, 10 & 27.
5 copies of 14011 were sold for $ 22, 25, 51, 113, 141.
1 copy of 14028 for $38.
I have ca. 200 label scans of the 32 issues (14001-32), and I made a note of
some fancy prices:
$195 for 14016, $127 for 14017, $164 for 14025.
You will not find many 14000s on popsike.com, not because they are rare,
but because they are too cheap. If you search "Paramount 78" with lowest price
first, you will find soon a King Oliver, sold 2012-01-07 for $26, and the
description says "40s ISSUE".

In the present case the seller tells you that he is selling the 1940s Steiner reissue,
even telling you:
"take the time to read the article below... it's a great read"
and there is all info, but he should have said:
"it's an essential read, to know that I am trying to swindle you".

In his preceding description he tries to mislead the uninformed:
" What an incredible blues 78 discovery
"
And the absurd price suggests it is rare, whereas - from store stock - he may indeed
have more.
It seems, however, that 14022 is relatively rare within the series.

Seller still has a Clarence Williams (14008), listed as "Museum Quality".
Same type of fraud.

han enderman
===
>>> Is it possible that the seller had more than one copy of this title and used
the same photo? The marks on Cliff's copy look as if they're caused by creases
in the sleeve, and unless the record has also been exposed to extreme
temperatures, those shouldn't sound (okay, sometimes they do).

dl

<<<