[78-L] Novelty records - Crepitation Contest

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 2 20:04:11 PST 2013

The first circulated version, as far as I know, was 2 12" discs cut and pressed
by Victor in Canada. The CBC had a copy in their special collections and
managed to break both discs, but not before getting me a dub. Matrix numbers
are PR 982/5. An old CBC operator named Alf Spence told Graham Newton and me
that he was around when it was recorded, and that it was done in CBC Studio G
ca. 1944..he's wrong on that because Studio G didn't exist until at least a
year later when the CBC moved from Davenport Road to Jarvis Street. The copy I
have came from recording engineer Les Smith. Unfortunately he was DEAD when I
acquired it, so another possible direct link in the chain was gone. I knew the
guy who did all the voices, Sid Brown, but when I knew him in the 70s I didn't
know he'd done that record. Another lost opportunity.

Somebody pass the cabbage..also open a window..

dl