[78-L] New DON RAYNO PAUL WHITEMAN book

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 2 11:49:17 PST 2013

Hey all,

Hope you all had a terrific new year celebration! I'm celebrating with the
new Paul Whiteman Volume 2 book by Don Rayno, which was delayed quite a
while ­ I was getting updates from Amazon every week or so since the
original publication date of August 2012 was apparently delayed ­ it finally
arrived just before the New Year and is about twice as thick as the first
volume! I'm fully immersed and enjoying it immensely. The only
disappointment is the repetition of several inaccuracies that have been
perpetuated in discographies since a year from Shevuos, Like saying that
vocalist Jeanie Lang is credited on the label of Trumbauer's "I Like to Do
Things For You."  The label says only, "with vocal refrain," which is
actually Mildred Bailey, as Rayno correctly observes.  Quite a few alternate
Whiteman takes that were issued on CD by RCA some 20 years ago are still not
included and very surprisingly, one of Paul's last recordings, a special LP
for the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, is mentioned nowhere.  And some obvious
details are missed ­ for example, no mention that the Modernaires' wordless
vocal on the Decca "I'm Comin' Virginia" is based on Bix's solo with Tram.

But these are tiny complaints in a massive pile of great new information and
terrific photographs.

Dave Weiner