[78-L] Record collecting

Mike Harkin xxm.harkin at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 06:42:14 PST 2012

--- On Sun, 12/30/12, Don Cox <doncox at enterprise.net> wrote:

From: Don Cox <doncox at enterprise.net>
Subject: Re: [78-L] Record collecting
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Date: Sunday, December 30, 2012, 1:37 PM

On 30/12/2012, Mike Harkin wrote:

> [...]
I think the falling weight would be lead.

The playback machine wouldn't be much larger than a 20C acoustic disc
player. Maybe not larger at all.

Winding the weight back up again is a pain, but so is winding up a
spring.

Wouldn't you need a fairly long fall first to reach the right speed and then to have any kind of actual recording time before the weight bottomed out?

BTW did you see that somebody has made a record with a 3D printer ?

Don't recall that specifically, but have seen several stories of getting sound out of
old sources by various means; the Frenchman using lampblack on glass comes to mind.  Actually, getting sound ou of a wavy line at all boggles my techno-
challenged mind!

m in p

Regards
--