[78-L] Record collecting

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 12:42:18 PST 2012

Back when I was a boy, my father would regularly bring home old records his
customers wanted to throw out (he owned a radio and television store). My
dad knew that I was fascinated by records since I was three years old, and
would watch the labels go around to watch the patterns they made. I got
hold of a lot of records from the thirties and forties that way.

Eventually, when I wanted to become an arranger/composer in the recording
and television studios, I did a lot of research and learned of all of these
artists and recordings that I simply had to hear. Of course the ones I
really wanted weren't being reissued, so I won a lot of things via auction.
Sometimes a record was a major revelation, other times a dud, and a lot in
between.

When I finally had access to the Institute of Jazz Studies collection, I
had access to things that I could now get for nothing just by taping them,
and then when the CD became a reality, I could get even more. Of course
there are some sides that I paid a lot for that have never been reissued
that I'm glad I have (the Dave Lambert Singers on Capitol).

I respect and honor record collectors, and can have a decent conversation
with many of them because I know the histories of the labels, matrix number
sequences, and in many cases where the studios were since I met musicians
who recorded in them, and even actually produced some recordings myself (my
memories of studio 1 at the Capitol Tower will always be special to me). In
other words, I am not a traditional collector in that my 1200 plus 78s, 45s
and LPs are long sold, but that doesn't mean that I don't love talking
about them and listening to them.

Jeff Sultanof