[78-L] Record collecting

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Dec 28 17:04:22 PST 2012

Guess I'm just a collecting nerd. There is nothing more exciting to me as a collector as seeing a 23000, V-38000, or 23500 show up in a stack of otherwise worthless Victors. Knowledge of the record numbers adds intuition to collectors' judgment on what to buy. None of is familiar with every record that is out there, but clues can be found in numerical series that indicate the kind of music that is on the record as well as the relative year it was issued. I am both of these kinds of collectors: I live for the music, but I cherish the objects themselves as well - Just thinking about who might have handled the very record that is on my shelf now is a tantalizing fantasy about our historical past. I have a number of autographed 78s as well, which makes the fantasy even more fascinating.

Cary Ginell