[78-L] Your best 5 acquisitions of 2012

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Mon Dec 24 01:11:11 PST 2012

On 23/12/2012, Matthew Duncan wrote:

> 5. Beecham - Hebrides Overture (Columbia LX 747, late 30s?) - Not what
> I would usually buy but had really liked this piece for years but
> never knew what it was until I stumbled across it on Youtube and then
> searched for it...found with several other discs of that period and
> type for a few pounds at a flea market this year - very atmospheric
> version.

Beecham is always good in Mendelssohn. He took special care when
rehearsing this composer.

Slightly O.T. - the best stereo recording of this that I have heard is
on conducted by Benjamin Britten in the Snape Maltings concert hall. It
is in the series "Britten the Performer" and has a sepia-toned photo of
a boat on the cover. Very natural and atmospheric sound.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net