[78-L] Rex Stewart? [was Some thoughts on J.J.Johnson]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 10:39:33 PST 2012

On 23/12/12 02:55, david.diehl at hensteeth.com wrote:
> Smack is one of my favorites, too. The trombone solo on this is terrific. Stark is erratic at the best of times and on this he's obviously tired, made worse by a horrible recording balance- Hawk sounds a bit weak and off-mike as well. BTW, Obie had nothing to do with the original recording session. Nada.
>   DJD

It sounds like the trumpeter was caught wrong-footed for his solo, as if
he hadn't reached the mike in time to start. It wouldn't be fair to
judge his work from this effort. The first two takes must have been
disasters for this one to pass muster. I haven't really studied Stark
enough to make a judgment of his work, but I've only read one comment
about him, and that wasn't favourable.

      Julian Vein