[78-L] Danny Boy - a Christmas tune? Really?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 22 19:40:33 PST 2012

On 12/22/2012 9:36 PM, David Breneman wrote:

> --- On Sat, 12/22/12, Rjholtin<rjh334578 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>

>> This has always struck me as odd.  If ol' Dan is a
>> Christmas tune, my education is lacking something.
>> Anybody know what the story is here or should I start
>> programming Danny Boy with our neighborhood caroling group?
>
> And when did "My Favorite Things" become a Christmas song?
> As I recall there was no mention of Christmas in The Sound
> of Music.

If you've ever worked in music programming, you'll know how ANYTHING that isn't
one of the standard 4 Christmas tunes adds freshness to the mix. We'd stretch
with anything that was vaguely connected with gift giving (referred to in the
song), cheeriness at a specific time of year, an adaptation of something
classical with a Christmas connection (Ray Conniff's "Dance of the Sugar Plum
Fairy" on Concert in Rhythm II was a great one to add)......all of these fit
the mix far better than instrumental versions of Greensleeves without its "What
Child is This" lyric.

18570 was a single, not added to an album till 1945. "Danny Boy" was in the can
from 1941. "I'll be Home for Christmas" was recorded in October 1943, very soon
after the end of the ban (for Decca), along with Jingle Bells and Santa Claus
is Comin' to Town. They did indeed need a filler, so Danny Boy was it. How it
got into the Christmas album is anybody's guess, but it was gone a  even listed
in the 1948 Decca catalog and didn't resurface till it was reissued in 25415,
backed with Dear Little Boy of Mine.