[78-L] Five favorite 78 artists

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Fri Dec 21 06:15:05 PST 2012

On 20/12/2012, S&R Pinsker wrote:

> Felix Weingartner
> Tito Schipa
> Conchita Supervia
> Ebe Stignani
> Sir Thomas Beecham
>
> Chosen because I still have some of their 78's that, as far as I know,
> have not been available on LP/CD. Would have included Richard Crooks
> but have only a couple of his 78's, just the reissues. If we could
> choose more than 5, I'd add Artur Schnabel, Edwin Fisher and Bruno
> Walter but all of their 78's still on my shelves are also there on
> LP,CD or sometimes both.
>
> Was considering Ezio Pinza; did Columbia album MM 768 - 3 10" disks -
> ever get re-issued? Half a dozen Italian Popular Songs w. piano.

I think most of Beecham's 78s have been put on CD by Mike Dutton. Do you
have any particular examples? - I could check in my collection.

Weingartner's Beethoven and Brahms symphonies are on CD, but the Brahms
issue I have was only briefly available.  The Beethovens are on Naxos.

EMI do a nice 12-CD box of Fischer.

Regards
--
Don Cox