[78-L] five least liked 78s (was - five favorites)

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Wed Dec 19 13:36:42 PST 2012

Going for Baroque - The 1926 Crystal Palace massed MESSIAH excerpts under Henry Wood (using Sir Michael Costa's Victorian "additional accompaniments" of added clarinets, bassoons, French horns, three trombones, and ophicleide - the last covered by tuba in '26) are fun because they're completely anti-Baroque, and I love Sarasate's 1903 breakneck E major unaccompanied prelude by Bach as he plays it like it's a Wieniawski virtuoso encore rather than Holy Writ.  The "Hallelujah Chorus" by Creatore's Band for Columbia in 1911 is also terrific and bizarre. PC