[78-L] New Armstrong set - Jazz Times review

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Sat Dec 15 14:42:43 PST 2012

David,

I don't have the Schaap release, not liking its shrill, bass-thin
sound, but I had assumed Schaap at least got the pitch right.

If they used older off-pitch tapes, one wonders why nobody
bothered to raise the playback speed when playing those tapes,
to correct the pitch (or were they worried about playing back
a Dolby tape at a speed slightly different from the one at which
it was encoded?).

I wonder if Michael Brooks knows the answer.

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services
audiofixer at verizon.net