[78-L] Recordings of Charles Chesney?

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Wed Nov 21 20:09:44 PST 2012

One more interesting request from someone.  I guess I'm in a helping mood today.  I also got the following request.  Do any discographies you folks have list this gentlemen?  What records would he be on?
Thanks,
Glenn

I am looking for recordings that contain Charles Chesney.  Charles was my uncle born in 1903.   He was born Charles Kleczinski - and changed his name to Chesney after he began acting.  He was in many stage productions in the US from the late 1920's through the mid-1940's.  I am searching for recordings (of any form) that contain him singing, or from performances in which he participated.

Charles worked with Allan Jones in the 30's.   He performed at the Muni in St. Louis.  He was in several "Shubert" productions on Broadway in NY including the "Student Prince" where he sang the "Drinking Song" (..Drink...Drink... Drink...).  In the "Music in May" Theatre program, he was billed ahead of a young Cary Grant (then listed as Archie Leach).   There are small references to him on several web sites including IBDB.com.    There are several references to him in "The Naff Collection"  in Nashville.   I have dozens of newspaper archive clippings from performances in which he participated....   but I have yet to find recordings that have his name credited/documented.

I believe that these do exist - as an Aunt once told me that she had several records containing his voice/songs - but these were apparently lost when she passed away.   I do not know if her recordings were on old 78's, cylinders, etc....