[78-L] Use of double bass in dance bands

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 07:03:44 PDT 2012

There is a record that chronicles the shift to pizzicato bass from arco bass (and, by extension, tuba etc):
 “Slappin' The Bass” -  (Harry de Costa, Fred Phillips) –
Ted Weems & His Orch, vr Parker Gibbs; April 3, 1930 - Victor 22411
Bass played arco/pizz by "Country Joe" Washburn.

Fortunately this was 1930 and it was still in vogue to sing the verse:
“There’s a great big instrument
you hear in every band
It used to be played with a bow
but now it’s played by hand”

Obviously the transition was well along for deCosta and Phillips to get it down in song.

The answer to the question of who drove the switch from tuba etc. to pizz bass fiddle is certainly an amalgam of bassists and arrangers/leaders.  Yes, Pops Foster would be in the list, as would Wellman Braud, John Kirby, Stanley Dennis (tuba/sb for swing trailblazer Casa Loma), Harry Goodman (also tuba/sb for Pollack etc wherever brother Benny was), Harry Barth, tuba and bass for Ted Lewis) and Al Armer, who actually preceded Steve Brown with Whiteman (“When Day Is Done” “Wistful and Blue,” for instance.)  I’m guessing Armer had heard Brown’s Goldkettes.

I must credit Joe Washburn, (I assume the arranger was Joe Haymes) and Weems because not only did they talk the talk with that record, they walked the walk with dozens of other records and they really did leave a shellac trail of the change.  Washburn played tuba on the early Weems records, switched to bass – and then went back to tuba to play trad/Dixie/fun with Spike, Ingle and others.  I love everything I’ve ever heard from Joe.

Ultimately, I do believe Brown’s influence perhaps to be the most major one in the story of the transition.  Remember he played (albeit phonographically silent) for NORK, but especially important are his Goldkette Bix-era sides as that band was revered by everybody, black and white, and that influence was only strengthened with the move to Whiteman – everybody listened to everything he played, even if they did not particularly revere all of it.

Rodger

For Best Results use Vic...Pop's Double Bass Bow Rosin.

.