[78-L] Use of double bass in dance bands

Andrew Evans andrew.evans at sfr.fr
Wed Oct 31 17:25:41 PDT 2012

Fascinating stuff, this thread.

Some corroboration from the present: the Palast Orchester, based in Berlin
and still playing regularly in the style of Weimar Germany, has a bassist
(Bernd Hugo Dieterich, according to Wikipedia) who doubles on string bass
and sousaphone. I'm fairly sure I've seen him on German television playing a
tuba, too, and as far as I know the fingering's the same for both
instruments. Not that I could even lift either of them, far less get a note
out it.

And a tentative answer to John's question below: was it not Pops Foster who
was the first to make the  shift from arco to pizzicato? Not sure where I
read this, and am in the wrong continent to check my sources, but my guess
it would have been with the Luis Russell band, before 1930. He, too, also
played the tuba, of course.

Andrew, in Buellton CA, where it's about 25F warmer than in Luxembourg

Message: 11