[78-L] Use of double bass in dance bands

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Sun Oct 28 17:42:37 PDT 2012

We've been on this thread for a long time now and all
I can add, speaking as a recording engineer, is that the
acoustic energy produced by the string bass is a fraction
of that by brass bass, and this is the main reason records
used the latter as frequently as they did, all other things
being equal.  I realize others have pointed this out.
As multi-miking became more common,
starting in the late 20's (listen closely to the Red Hot
Peppers' "Doctor Jazz"), the way to get the string bass
loud enough was still was to put it on a riser near the
main microphone (there is a photo taken at an Ellington
session which shows this - and just listen to his "Hot And
Bothered" on Okeh from 1928, in which the bass is the
loudest and most "present" thing on the whole record!)
but very soon thereafter it was normal to give the string
bass a separate mic at his normal place in the rhythm section.

I think Ellington wanted the string bass because it sounded
more "modern" than brass bass at that time, and electrical
recording made it possible for the first time to really hear it.
I think this was a "selling point" for early electrical recordings;
even Gennett got on the bandwagon with its "Walkin' The
Dog" by Carmichael's Collegians in 1928.

I cannot resist mentioning a reissue I recently acquired
(on Retrieval label) which includes some really fine
brass bass playing by Henry Edwards, including some
perfectly executed sixteenth notes, with Noble Sissle's
Orch on HMV B 5731, "Kansas City Kitty" from 1929.
Anyone who wants to hear it, let me know and I'll send
you an mp3.  It's a gasser and it gets hotter (and louder)
as the performance progresses.

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services
audiofixer at verizon.net