[78-L] Melchior's first name

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 15:07:45 PDT 2012

I am no expert but here's my view...

Low-ritz Melk-Yorr (using your cow fits example) is how I would pronounce that name just by reading it.  I base pronunciation on where the person is from (if I know)...and that's how I could imagine it being in Danish...Perhaps he didn't correct people because he wasn't really bothered??  Or as you say he assumed the Americanised version...

Another example of my formula...

Someone from Canada named David I would pronounce Day-vid....unless corrected....someone from Russia called David would be Dav-eed .... unless corrected.

I sort of know what I mean anyway...!

Matthew in Bly-tee