[78-L] Melchior's first name

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 16 14:49:33 PDT 2012

So, experts, is Lauritz Melchior's first name LOR-ITZ or LOW-RITZ? I've just
heard a program with Melchior and Frank Sinatra bantering back and forth, with
a studio announcer at the beginning, and everyone says LOR-ITZ which is
probably how most of us thought it was for decades, in the grand old American
melting pot tradition. But a few years ago I heard that it should be pronounced
LOW-RITZ (rhymes with cow fits). I presume that if Mr. Melchior didn't want his
name mispronounced, there was ample opportunity to suggest a correction. The
show doesn't sound like a double-ender (different studios, piece it all
together later). Anyone have the answer?