[78-L] acoustic records

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Sun Oct 7 01:26:30 PDT 2012

On 06/10/2012, Mike Daley wrote:

> I listen to my acoustic records on a modern turntable (I hate changing
> needles), but I still have to respectfully ask Dr. Biel (and please
> forgive me if this point has been brought up before): if listening to
> records on an acoustic machine is listening to the machine, not the
> records, aren't we listening to the stylus, cartridge, wires,
> resistors, capacitors, amplifiers, etc. etc. when we listen to a
> record with an electronic turntable?

Obviously we are, and especially to the loudspeakers (which you left
out).

But these items have the benefit of ninety years of research and
development aimed at reducing distortion and resonances. The waveforms
reaching your ears are much closer to the waveforms in the groove than
when an acoustic player is used.

Probably an acoustic player could be designed today using modern
materials and engineering techniques to give a more accurate sound than
in those that survive from early last century.

The next step is to scan the disc or cylinder, create a 3D digital model
of the groove, and use that to drive the speakers. It will perhaps be
possible to reduce resonances in the original acoustic recording equipment.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net