[78-L] MARY HOWARD RECORDINGS

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Mon Oct 1 18:52:52 PDT 2012

The responses to my MARGARET DODD SINGERS query piqued my interest in MARY HOWARD RECORDINGS.
I've searched Billboard and Worldcat - the results are listed below.

I would like to put together a list of the commercial (shellac) releases, the lacquers are
also interesting, but too difficult to pursue at this time.  I will just mention that
MHR recorded CHARLES IVES performing his own works (Apr 24, 1943), and these are released
in the NEW WORLD CD IVES plays IVES (80642).

The information below (commercial releases) from Worldcat should be viewed with suspicion -
any additions (MANY needed) and corrections appreciated!!  Thanks!

Best wishes, Thomas.

MARY HOWARD RECORDINGS
37 E. 49th St., New York 17; Tel.:
Plaza 3-4800, Mary Howard, owner.
Services: Package & TV shows.

Billboard Jul 26, 1947
Mary Howard Recordings Releases First 6 Sides
  NEW YORK, July 19. - Mary Howard Recordings (MHR),
newly formed diskery, has released its first
six sides, a Herman CHittison Album, and will release
a new Ethel Waters Album August 15.  Firm
also has signed Dale Belmont, whose first two sides,
THE SHEIK OF ARABY and TENNESSEE, will be out this week, and
Walter (Foots) Thomas, formerly of
Cab Calloway's ork, who has formed his own combo.
MHR distribution is handled thru Wesley Smith,
New York City.

WHO WAS WESLEY SMITH ???????????????

Album ????   HERMAN Chittison    3-10" 78rpm      reissued in CLASSICS CD  - Anyone have this? do they provide details??
CHITTISON TRIO

MARY HOWARD RECORDINGS MHR-101    10"-78rpm
MHR-101-B  JUNE BARCAROLLE
MHR-101-A  MINUTE WALTZ (Op. 64, No. 1) (Chopin; Arr Herman Chittison)
MHR-101; mx MHR-101-B (in Worldcat) ??????????????????????
Chittison Trio

MHR-102; mx MHR-102-B  June Parcarolle, Op.37, No.6 (Tschaikowsky; Arr. Herman Chittison)

MHR-103; mx MHR-103-B  Tristesse, Op.10, No.3 (Chopin; Arr. Herman Chittison)

MHR-104; mx MHR-104-A  Menuet, Op.14 (Paderewski; Arr. Herman Chittison)

MHR-105; mx MHR-106-A  C Sharp Minor Waltz (Op. 64, No. 2) (Chopin; Arr. Herman Chittison)

MHR-106; mx MHR-105-A  Anitra's Dance. (Peer Gynt Suite) (Grieg; Arr. Herman Chittison)

Album MHR-2  ETHEL WATERS        3-10" 78rpm
  Reggie Beane, piano

MHR 115  Suppertime
MHR 116  Summertime

MHR 117 Little Black Boy
MHR 107 Happiness is Just a Thing Called Joe

MHR 112 Throw the Dirt
??? ??? 100 Years From Now.

Billboard Jul 26, 1947
MHR 123
 TENNESSEE (Uncle Fud)
 THE SHEIK OF ARABY (Snyder-Smith-Wheeler)
DALE DELMONT "The Cover Girl  Comedienne"
JOHNNY COLA TRIO

BILLBOARD October 4, 1947
MHR 128
 I"LL HATE MYSELF IN THE MORNING  Bill DIllard (The Devil)
 THE DEVIL SAT DOWN AND CRIED
Bill Dillard

MHR 129
 IT'S THE TALK OF THE TOWN
 WHEN GABRIEL BLOWS HIS TRUMPET
Bill Dillard

THE FOLLOWING ARE LISTED EITHER AS  "GLORIA"  OR  "HOWARD"         ARE THEY MARY HOWARD RECORDINGS ??????????????????

Carols From The Long Christmas
  MARGARET DODD SINGERS

MHR 155A  Thrice Welcome Christmas; Our Lady's Lullaby

MHR 155B  Song Of St. Stephen; An Olden Carol

MHR 156A  Cradle Song; A Christmas Cabin
   Eleanor Waldon

MHR 156B  Gypsy Song Of The Road; A Christmas Glee

Han Enderman has provided the following information:
"Recorded By Mary Howard"  H-1002, by Avon Long

Anyone have details for this label, or information about other releases ?????????????????????