[78-L] Mystery record

John Wright vintage at jabw.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 12:10:39 PDT 2012

Ah, the Daily Mail Mystrery Record. It is quite common in UK, most
collectors have one on their shelves. I recall some articles about it in the
old Gunn Report magazine about 30 years ago. One article listed all the
answers - all the artistes, not all dance bands or dance band singers, so it
was quite a difficult quiz. I think it dates from 1932 and features bands
like Ambrose, Geraldo, and I remember Sam Browne as one of the singers, but
a lot of the artistes are quite obscure, to me anyway. The reason the label
mentions so many 'label' names is, I believe, that they all were by the part
of EMI, I'm not sure.

A later article included a photocopy of the newspaper article which had
revealed the prize-winners. And yes, one lucky person won, I think, £1530
(1530 pounds) which in today's value would be about 100,000 which today
would buy a nice apartment. Back then 1530 would have bought a nice house!

John Wright