[78-L] NYC record store labels - Schirmer, Rabson's Music Box, Gramophone Shop, LMS, others?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 8 12:07:33 PDT 2012

Schirmer was really a publisher label, and did light jazz and classical..two
albums of Rudolf Friml, a couple of Dana Suesse sets, Benjamin Britten playing
Balinese music, quite a wide variety in fact. Nocturne seems to have been
related to Schirmer, although that may just be coincidental since most of us
have seen only one Nocturne 78, Swinging The Jingle (a jazzed-up Pepsi Cola spot).

Gramophone Shop Varieties did 2 singles by Beatrice Lillie, two albums of Alec
Templeton, Reginald Gardiner's "Trains", one disc by composer-pianist Alex
Fogarty which I've never seen, and a 12-incher of Sarah Bernhardt from
cylinders. That may be the entire GSV catalogue.

There were historical classical recordings issued by some of the specialty
shops as well.

dl