[78-L] NYC record store labels - Schirmer, Rabson's Music Box, Gramophone Shop, LMS, others?

Philip Fukuda 78rpm at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 8 11:53:17 PDT 2012

Every so often, I'll run into one of these New York City store labels.

I'm most familiar with Liberty Music Shop. I have Jack Raymond's LMS listing, so I know LMS specialized in society bands, show tunes, adult humor and limited jazz (Casper Reardon, Lee Wiley). I'm guessing they focused on a "sophisticated" clientele. My question concerns label chronology. Which ones came first? I've seen several, with different store addresses.

For Schirmer, I only have a handful of issues, again Lee Wiley and Casper Reardon. How long did they issue records? Does anybody have a listing?

For Rabson's Music Box, I only have one Lee Wiley. Again, how long did they issue records? Does anybody have a listing?

For Gramophone Shop, I only have several Alec Templetons on Gramophone Shop Varieties. I know there was a Beatrice Lillie as well. Again, how long did they issue records? Does anybody have a listing?

Are there other New York City record stores that issued 78s (other than Commodore, which is well-documented)?

Thanks.

Philip Fukuda