[78-L] OT: Best way to make a simple live recording.

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 4 21:04:32 PDT 2012

You might consider a single point stereo microphone.  Place the chorus in a
semicircle, with the members facing inwards.  Place the stereo mic so it is
even with the ends of the semicircle and pointing towards the center.
Experiment moving the microphone away from the chorus a bit if the sound is
too "present."  Place the keyboard between the mic and the chorus
(preferably closer to the chorus), but experient with moving the keyboard
around some if it overpowers the singers.

Monitor the setup with headphones, and have an assistant who can move the
mic and people around a bit while you listen.  Single point stereo mics are
a very simple and effective way to mic a simple ensemble like this.

It's important to remember that where you place a singer or instrument
directly affects where they will sound on the recording (from extreme left
to extreme right).

Stereo mics come in all sorts of varieties and might have mini plugs (that
will plug into the mic input of a computer) or XLR connectors (that will
plug into a mixer or recorder that accepts a mic level input).

Here's a couple of mics to consider (one is at the low end of the price
spectrum; the other in the middle):
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Microphones/Condenser-Microphones-Studio/Audio-Technica/PRO-24.xhtml?PRO24

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Microphones/Condenser-Microphones-Studio/Shure-Inc/VP88.xhtml?VP-88

Let us know how the recording turns out!

Even if you do go with a USB mic, the placement is still of paramount
importance.  Give the semicircle pattern described above a try!

Sammy