[78-L] How do you organize your collection?

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri Aug 31 14:35:36 PDT 2012

Don't organize. Use a random system of milk crates or similar.
Our absent friend Steven C Barr gave us this beautiful piece of
collector's (accumulator's) poetry seven years ago:

" First, for the discophiles, there is the thrill...in fact, a
reproducible thrill, which is even better...of playing the records we
acquire! Right now, I'm looking through a milk box full of 78's,
probably brought up from the basement quite a while ago. It looks to be
a box full of auction(s) winnings...which means I haven't touched it in
probably a decade or so, since it has been that long since I could
afford to bid on auction lists! However, just in looking at the titles
and artists, I get a thrill of anticipation thinking of playing them! Of
course, I already had a thrill when I opened the parcels and played the
records a decade ago...but the good ones (and there are several) I enjoy
hearing every time I play them! /snip/
Now, I agree there is a thrill in acquiring the records. /snip/ But, for
me, being a bit of a nut on things historical (which is why I'll be
freezing my fundament this winter in my c.1869 house!) there is also the
fact that each one of these records is also an artifact of its time! The
records may have provided dancing accompaniment for a flapper and her
beau...or been one of a dozen or so blues records played to death by a
poverty- stricken sharecropper...or provided pleasant listening of a
Rachmaninoff concerto to a well-off music lover of the twenties...or
whatever...!"

Kristjan