[78-L] Down Home Records / Verve Down Home Series

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Aug 30 04:10:08 PDT 2012

Down Home 1-14 (78s) in Ruppli, Clef/Verve dg (p.645), by Watters, Sutton, Hayes.
Also D-1000 by Scobey (45 rpm).

MGD 1-7 (12" 33rpm) in Ruppli (p.720).
MGD 6 not released?
No later issues in MGD series; MGV series continued with 1008 Pecora-Watters.

QUESTION: I have a label image of D-1000, BOB SCOBEY'S BAND: In New Orleans,
and assumed this was a 78 (and so it looks).
Can it be confirmed if it was issued on 45 and/or 78 ?

han enderman
===

>>> "Down Home was a label that was started by Lu Watters' Yerba Buena Jazz Band in December 1949. Catalog numbers 1-6 and 11-14 were
by Watters. In 1950, Norman Granz acquired the label and issued some other jazz artists on it...."
- Cary Ginell
---
Were there any albums released on the DOWN HOME label above MG D-7 ??
Did the VERVE release of these albums in the Down Home Series continue above the highest DOWN HOME release ??

Below is a list of the LPs I am aware of.  Please post additions/corrections.
If anyone has a list of the 78's, that information would also be appreciated.  THANKS!

Best wishes, Thomas.

DOWN HOME   VERVE
MG D-       MG V-
1           1001  Bob Scobey's Band
2           1002  Mr. Piano Man  the music of Joe Sullivan
3           1003  Clancy Hayes Sings
4           1004  Ralph Sutton  Backroom Piano
5           1005  Lu Watters and his Yerba Buena Jass Band
6           1006  Meade Lux Lewis  Cat House Piano
7           1007  Meade Lux Lewis  Yancey's Last Ride
<<<