[78-L] Off Speed recordings

Damian's 78s damians78s at damians78s.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 22:59:53 PDT 2012

1st four sides were all recorded on 18th Jan 1927, remaining sides on 19th
Jan 1927. However, at least one of Columbia's recording machines was very
unreliable at this time. For late 1920s UK recorded Columbias, the problems
you note are very far from unusual. And so frustrating. I have, for example,
Percy Pitt's recording of the Barber of Seville overture from around the
same time. Both sides drop by about a semitone across their duration.