[78-L] Off Speed recordings

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Aug 28 14:43:25 PDT 2012

In my experience, poor Felix Weingartner seems to suffer the most from wrong speed recordings.  I know there are serious pitch problems on his recording of "Les Preludes" by Liszt and last night I transfered his recording of the Pastorale Symphony and the first side ended a good semi-tone off from where the second side started.  This was not a gradual thing - the beginning of the Symphony is in the same key as the end of side one.  I can only assume that these sides were recorded at different sessions on different days, perhaps some at 80 and others at 78;  the labels say recorded at 78 RPM but this was at a time when Columbia was recording at 80.  The sound also changes drastically between a couple of the sides.  There are some points even in the middle of sides where it almost sounds like the turntable is being turned by hand - okay I exagerate but it is sometimes quite wobbly.