[78-L] OFF SPEED RECORDINGS

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 27 15:11:12 PDT 2012

Actually the KEY of the arrangement is a VITAL aspect of determining the
correct speed. While it is true that there were arrangements in Keys not
ideally suited to Bb and Eb instruments - it is extremely unusual for an
arranger not to modulate to a  more suitable key for instrumental solos -
particularly if they are improvised. Thus a Benny Goodman improvised
clarinet solo that appears to be in the key of A, most definitely will be in
Ab or Bb (Good as Benny was!). Other clues can be taken from the
characteristics and limitations of various musical instruments. For example,
Double-Bass will not play a Low Eb, because the Bottom String is tuned to E.

Tim Huskisson