[78-L] OFF SPEED RECORDINGS

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 27 14:55:57 PDT 2012

Ah but those were bands that could actually play! To expect virtuosity from
Lumbago in 1927 is to wish for the moon..I don't believe how many clams are in
both these sides, and they're the 4th takes. Vocals are by Carmen and/or the
trio, of course, so that tells you nothing. And I believe Columbia's Chicago
recordings were exceptions to all sorts of rules. I've found 4% variations in
some New York Columbias as well, piano recordings by Percy Grainger that had to
go UP 4%.

dl