[78-L] Budd Johnson arr was "Skylark"

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Aug 27 08:54:57 PDT 2012

I am especially curious about "Water Boy" since it was such an unusual choice for Hines' band. Robinson adapted the song from the public domain - I have his original sheet music of the work song arrangement for piano and vocal. But was Robinson capable of putting together a big band chart for this? I'm wondering if it wasn't Valentine who did the arrangement for the Hines group and Robinson instead got credit for his original adaptation from the public domain. Theories?

Cary Ginell