[78-L] Budd Johnson arr was "Skylark"

Scott scott at mosaicrecords.com
Mon Aug 27 08:47:51 PDT 2012

Mosaic will be issuing Hines sessions from 1928-45 sometime in the Fall and
I've been reading with interest Jeff's posts. I believe there is a Jazz Oral
History Project transcript/tape of Budd at the Institute of Jazz Studies
that I need to peruse and might shed some more light on his arranging
credits.

So far as Eckstine vocals, I wonder if "Wait Til It Happens To You" is a
Robert Crowder arrangement since he wrote the tune and had contributed some
arrangements as well ("Deep Forest" and "Stormy Monday Blues"). And I also
have in my notes that "Water Boy" has Avery Robinson as arranger and Gerald
Valentine as arr on "Jitney Man" - both Eckstine vocals.

Scott Wenzel