No subject

Tue Aug 21 08:16:52 PDT 2012

modernize his band, and hired Budd. I'm sure Budd built up that book. I
also know that he briefly mentored Stan Kenton, who showed his work to
Budd. Budd was a believer in sharing one's knowledge; he was very giving
that way if you really showed an interest. I spent many hours with him and
they were glorious, with one story after another. One of my most precious
memories is sitting at a table with Budd and Frank Foster as they
reminisced about their days with Basie. I thought Frank was going to split
a gut laughing.

Perhaps Budd's most important mentoring was with Ben Webster. Johnson gave
him tenor sax lessons.

Jeff Sultanof