[78-L] Carter Family..slight oddity

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 24 20:10:14 PDT 2012

I found among my stuff a Canadian Bluebird, B-5301, which is definitely cut in
Canada (easy to detect on 20s and 30s Canadian Victors). But it's obviously a
dub..the question is, why? Did the original sides (My Clinch Mountain Home and
Little Darling, Pal of Mine) run too close to the label? Canadian Bluebirds
were still using large labels in 1934. Odd.

Also odd is the fact that both songs are remarkably similar to later ones, and
plagiarism suits have been won on far less convincing similarities. "My Clinch
Mountain Home" is very close to "Teddy Bear" and "Little Darling, Pal of Mine"
not only sounds almost identical to "This Land is Your Land", it has a solo
guitar chorus that is note for note the same except for a couple of notes in
the last line.