[78-L] Manhattan's Colony Music to close after 64 years

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Aug 24 01:31:00 PDT 2012

It is sad to see any store close, but it is amazing that they were able
to last this long.  The prices were outrageous, and the staff seems
devoid of any understanding of display or retail.  They used to have
their LPs on the sales floor but long ago replaced the space with
display cases of overpriced memorabelia fading under the fluorescent
lights.  Leah and I stopped in about six months ago after Cary mentioned
the LPs in the basement. and there was a small browser unit with about
200 abused and tattered LPs with $40+ prices.  No thought to getting
plastic covers for the falling apart LPs even when I suggested it.

Back when Virgin was still open on Broadway within sight of the Colony,
I was there when Virgin opened the newly delivered cartons of the just
opened smash hit "The Producers" Cds.  Virgin put of a sign $14 and they
FLEW out of there.  I strolled over to the Colony.  They had a little
rack of ten copies with $23 stickers on them.  Yawn.

So, you might ask, why did Colony outlast Virgin.  In two words --
Vulture Capitalists.  Same thing that happened to Tower and Circuit
City.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com