[78-L] Marvin Hamlisch dies

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Aug 7 10:07:31 PDT 2012

Yes, it was Hill's idea. The music in "The Sting" somehow fit the movie perfectly - I was just wondering why period appropriate music wasn't selected instead. "The Sting" takes place in the early '30s as did "Kansas City," but the latter film got the music right and the film worked on that level. The main difference is that much of the music in "Kansas City" was "source" music - not background music. Ragtime was separated from the action and was not supposed to be played or heard by the characters. Scenes in "Kansas City" took place in clubs where the music was actually being played. It can be argued that ragtime did exist in the early '30s and that it was being played still on vaudeville stages, but it was far from the predominant music of the day. The use of bluegrass in "Bonnie & Clyde," however, is totally inappropriate, since the first bluegrass recordings didn't occur until Flatt & Scruggs joined Bill Monroe in 1947, 13 years after the deaths of B&C. I think early western swing might have worked even better than bluegrass - not just because it has that frenetic dance feel, but that the music CAME from the area being depicted in the movie (instead of the distant southern Appalachians & Smoky Mountains), and that Bonnie & Clyde themselves were fans of the music - see my biography on Milton Brown concerning encounters the Brownies actually had with the Barrow gang at the Crystal Springs Dancing Pavilion in Fort Worth.

Cary Ginell