[78-L] Frequency Response/Range for 78's

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jul 27 11:16:06 PDT 2012

From: James <sartana at cox.net>
> Yes, I understand the value of using ones 'ears'. That
> makes perfect sense and in the end, that is the final
> judgement that matters. I was just hoping that somewhere,
> someone would have noted what sort of recording setup was
> available in different eras and what the frequency response
> was deemed possible by that equipment. It was just a thought.....

Nick Bergh did a presentation at ARSC about his research on Western
Electric equipment which includes info on frequency response and curves.
He and his colleagues have a lot of the actual equipment and are
starting to decode some of the technical notations in the Victor ledgers
and the changes and improvements that were being made over the years.
He also knows a lot about all other recording equipment available in the
30s and 40s.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com