[78-L] BBC World Service Going Out Of Business Auction

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 14:18:57 PDT 2012

Another teenage shortwave DX'er. Cool!!

The R390a is a very well built reciever. True they are quite heavy but then how often are you going to be moving it around? I haven't moved mine from the radio table (it's my primary shortwave reciever) for about 15 years now. And it won't be moved tomorrow or any time soon either. Don't worry about the gear train or any other part of this reciever. If you get one in good shape or better it won't break down on you. Mine didn't since I got it 30 years ago however I still sent it to Rick Mish of Miltronix to have it remanufactured to museum quality 5 years ago. Sure it cost some bucks to have that done but to me it was well worth it even though my R390a was running great before I sent it off to Rick. Many veteran DX'ers still think that the R390a is one of the best recievers ever made. I agree with them 100%.

The other vacuum tube recievers I'd fix myself (yes I do know how) if one ever needed it but so far none of them have since I got them although I've done some repairs to a few of them right after I bought them.

The old Zenith Trans Oceanic G500 & H600 series of recievers are very good portables to this day. I built battery packs for both of mine that fit inside each radio & ran them both outside my home on the batteries I bought. Lots of fun too. Of course they also run off AC as well. And those are both vacuum tube models.