[78-L] BBC World Service Going Out Of Business Auction

Stewart, Joseph R RandyStewart at MissouriState.edu
Wed Jul 18 13:03:15 PDT 2012

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. <rbratcherjr at yahoo.com> wrote:
"I still listen to what's left of shortwave radio today on an R390a vacuum tube shortwave receiver."
At one time I seriously considered tracking one down, but they're such BEASTS (85+ pounds), and if that complex gear-driven frequency readout system ever crapped out there's no way I'd be able to repair it!  Modern solid-state communications receivers admittedly don't sound nearly as good on good old double-sideband AM, though....

"Thankfully the BBC still transmits on a few other frequencies that are not in a ham band."
I frequently listen to their transmission to Africa late in the (North American) evenings on 9410 kHz.

"Oh & I'm 53 now & have been listening to shortwave since I was 13 years old..."
I'm 55 and started listening to SW when I was 10 or 11--on a cheap Japanese (solid-state) multi-band portable (the then-current Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000 was way too expensive for my parents' budget!).

Randy Stewart
Arts Producer
KSMU
901 S. National